GreatCheese.com2011-10-20Fresh Mozzarella alla Torre di Pisa: Fresh Mozzarella Log, Tomatoes, Eggplant/Aubergine, Olive Oil (Extra Virgin), Garlic, Fresh Basil, Fresh Oregano, Salt & Pepper
Fresh Mozzarella alla Torre di Pisa
- 16 oz. Galbani® Fresh Mozzarella Log
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 small Eggplant/Aubergine
- 6 tsp Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- handful Fresh Oregano, chopped
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Wash and slice the tomatoes and put them into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with oregano.
- Drizzle two spoons of olive oil over the tomatoes and leave them to marinade for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the aubergine, remove the ends and slice; sprinkle with coarse salt and leave to drain for about 20 minutes.
- Dry the aubergine slices with kitchen paper and sprinkle with pepper. Slice the Galbani® Fresh Mozzarella, then peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Heat two spoons of oil in a pan, add the garlic and soften briefly, then remove and set on one side.
- In the same oil, fry the aubergine slices on both sides, remove and dry with kitchen paper.
- Create two «Leaning Towers of Pisa» on each individual plate by alternating slices of tomato, mozzarella and aubergine on top of each other.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining oil with with salt and pepper and drizzle over the composition.
- As a finishing touch, garnish with basil leaves and the tiny slices of golden garlic.
Galbani serving suggestion: this recipe can become a main dish in summer when served with Mediterranean rocket and radicchio salad, a few slices of crisp, lightly toasted bread and a cool glass of Italian rosé.